Girls Poop Too

July 5, 2013 by A Girl Like Me

There are those moments in your life that you wish never happened. Moments that you’d gladly take back in a second if you could. Moments so embarrassing that in some way end up defining you as a person for the rest of your life. For me that moment came when I was six years old and accidentally pooped in my neighbors pool.

You remember what it was like being a kid on a summer day at the pool. You could get lost for hours in an imaginary under water world, playing games and doing tricks. It was like being transported someplace magical while all the while just being in your friends back yard. That was how it was for me that day.

We had been playing all day, and I was having a blast. My neighbors had a diving board, so we had be having a contest to see who could do the best tricks. Being the competitive girl I was, I had to win…NO.MATTER.WHAT. I could tell that I needed to go to the bathroom, but my turn was coming up and I had a killer trick ready to execute. I figured I’d do my trick and then head to the bathroom after. So I stepped up to the diving board, sprung into the air, completing this amazing (to a six year old) olympic worthy dive. And just as my body hit the water, I felt it.

images

Like an uncontrollable sneeze, I felt a tiny piece of poo slip out of my bum and into the pool water below. The moments before I breeched the surface to come up for air felt like an eternity. My mind was racing with thoughts as to what I should do and if anyone saw and how embarrassed I was because who poops in a pool anyway…? So I did what any logical six year old would do: I came up out of the water and immediately left for home without saying a word.

That one moment, that one humiliating moment set in motion a belief system in me that has stayed to this day. It is that being a girl can sometimes mean being ashamed of being human. Here’s what I mean. Every girl poops. We’re human, humans poop, part of nature, right? WRONG! You’d think it’d be ok in my mind to admit that I poo, but no, I can’t. Because poop is gross and stinky and if I admit that I as a girl poop then I am saying that I am gross and stinky too. Are you feeling me on this?

So this idea, this irrational feeling of disgrace over a natural part of my human existence causes me to live in shame of my body and who I really am. I mean, how many times have you as a girl launched a rancid smelly fart in public and prayed to high heaven that no one knew it was you because you would die if they did? I know I’m raising my hand on that one.

So why am I rambling on about bodily functions to you all? Here’s why..because we as girls need to learn to laugh at ourselves. I think a big part of our issues over our appearance is that we take it all way too seriously. So what if you fart? Someday you’ll get married and you can’t blame the dog or the crazy guy next to you when the room starts to stink. Someday your husband will tell you that you clogged the toilet, and you’ll have to get over it. I guarantee you when Jesus walked the earth even he pooped, and I bet you it smelled bad.

We need to remind ourselves that God made our bodies, even the stinky and occasionally humorous parts. We need to see those things and be able to laugh it off, remembering that that volcanic pimple or piece of food in the teeth or loud toot isn’t going to end our lives in some tragic and epic social suicide making us an outcast for the rest of our lives. It’s life and in life, everybody poops…even girls.

So how about we get over ourselves and try and giggle or shrug off the next time a little toot accidentally peeps it way out in front of a group of people. Show the world that you can be a woman and still be human. Show the world that you don’t have to be defined by a lack of B.O., having amazing hair, and the inability to ever go number two. Because we are more than all those things. We are more than the worlds standard of social perfection and appropriateness. We are women, we are made in the image of God, crafted in the hands of our Creator, beautiful just as we are..and yes, yes we poop.

13 thoughts on “Girls Poop Too

1. Lori says:

Heather,

I wish you heard just how loud I uproared in laughter at this post. Oh my goodness. I was absolutely dying at the line: “I mean, how many times have you as a girl launched a rancid smelly fart in public and prayed to high heaven that no one knew it was you because you would die if they did.” Hahahah YES.

Oh man, thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I am WAY too hard on myself. What a beautiful (and freakin HILARIOUS) reminder. I appreciate you, girl :)

2. Sharon says:

I remember one time being in a store and letting a loud and smelly one. A man scrunched up his face and looked disgusted as if I did it intentionally. Even my son was embarrassed and he always laughed hysterically if someone else let one. So, yes, I was embarrassed that I was so human as to do that in public!

3. Oh my, Heather! Your transparency is …. uh …. astounding :o)! LOL!!!! I must say, I’ve never, ever, ever pooped in a pool. Unfortunately, I’m sure I’ve done worse … as an adult. Can’t help it if I love Mexican food–so sue me! And having been pregnant a couple times, my body didn’t always do as society expected. Oh well. Thanks for the gut-wrenching laughter today.

4. LOL keepin’ it real……

5. Rachel says:

Thank you so much for this reminder! So often I forget how little it really matters when “mistakes” happen! Even if a “mistake” comes out in front of friends!

6. Charlene says:

I have been asked by my children if I think God has a sense of humor. I told them, “Absolutely!” When asked how I could be certain, I replied without hesitation. “Farts.” Even young children could agree with that! :)

7. A Worn Girl says:

Haha! Good post and reminder, Heather. Giggling all the way through :) I remember I was swimming in a friend’s pool once and accidentally swallowed too much water. I came up from the bottom of the pool and let out the loudest belch you’ve ever heard! It surprised me so much…and embarrassed me also!
    Thanks for being open!

8. victotoria says:

Amen! heather,loln Oh yes we human n ofcos as beautiful we r we do poop*lmlo thnx heather

9. Bianca says:

I cant tell you how much i needed this. I recently (yesterday) played spin the bottle (terrible idea) at band camp and had to kiss a really gross guy. i was so embarassed and ashamed i didnt tell anyone except those who were there. It hasnt left my mind and I promised to myself I’d never play Spin the Bottle ever again. But this helped me get over it. Thank you!

10. Nobody says:

This post is so dum. I hate it and it made me feel so silly reading it.

• A Worn Girl says:

Sometimes embarrassment is good…and, like Heather said sometimes you just have to laugh things off.
      Now, I don’t know who you are, but YOU are NOT a nobody. Think about Christ. I’m sure he was pretty sheepish stretched out on that cross, being made fun of, and picked on. But he knew the hardship would end and that the Father would take care of him. So, If you perceive yourself that way think about how HE feels. “He has been broken over our whoring hearts.” HE made YOU in HIS design and HE loves you.
      2 Corinthians 5:17-21
      “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation.
      The old has passed away; behold, the new has come…
      …For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin,
      so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
      Hear these words that God Himself has spoken and be enamored by His glory and His power.
      Man, I hope this helps, from the pit of my heart. WE ARE ALL THE SAME!!!! I can’t stretch this point any longer…but please hear His words, hear mine. And know He died to REVIVE us. ~A Worn Girl who has lost her way, but has been picked up by the Father and held as His beloved.

11. dotta says:

My wife of 13 years is EXTREMELY comfortably around me,….she can make my ear drums hurt with her booty trumped!
    And she will poop around me, while were talking about Bills?…..yes all of em phone bill, electric bills, daycare bill (etc)…..you know ……LOL……