The Ultimate

February 1, 2013 by A Girl Like Me

I wish I could sit in a room with you all and have a deep conversation about idols and our hearts and where to go from here.  I know it is very overwhelming to look within and have God bring to light the desires in your heart that you have placed before Him.  So you see there needs to be a change.. but how?  How do you rid yourselves of idols?

First of all, let me be the first to say that I don’t have all the answers to this.  I’m still learning myself.  But what I do know is this… God loves you in spite of your idols.  You first need to come to realize that.  Nothing can separate you from the love of God.  So let this be the very thing that drives you to change.  Trying to be good enough for God can be an idol in itself… so once we realize that we are already loved – than the striving to be better will not be the thing that gives us motivation but the overwhelming realization of His love towards us will bring about true change and humility.  It’s not something that you can do on your own… you need the power of God to remove them and give you grace.

So- recognize and identify your idols.

Know that God loves you even when you place things before Him.

Let the love of Christ be what drives you to change.

If an idol is something good that we have made an ultimate… what does it look like for you to make Christ once again your ultimate??  Idols are promising you the very things they cant provide and yet God is offering you the very happiness, acceptance, joy, love, provision, security, peace, and hope that you are looking for.  What would even happen if you got the very things you desire most?  There would always be voids, there would always be something else that you need in order to be happy, and there would always be lack of contentment.  With God as the ultimate desire of our heart, we can find rest in knowing that all of our needs are met and all of our wants are already fulfilled in the blood of Christ when He died on the cross.

“As many have learned and later taught, you don’t realize Jesus is all you need until Jesus is all you have.” – Tim Keller

I encourage you all to read Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller.  I, myself, have yet to read it all but I look forward to more hope and guidance on this matter and I hope that you will join me.  I couldn’t say it any better than him.

As for today- fall to your knees and confess your idols before the Lord.  Lay them down at His feet and ask for His help in changing these beautiful desires from the ultimate gain to a desire that just leads you back to Jesus.  I need Jesus.  You need Jesus.

11 thoughts on “The Ultimate

1. Kristen says:

Unfortunately, I definitely have the idol of trying to be good enough for God. it’s crippling. It’s horrible. And I struggle with it constantly. But I think that the only way for it to go away is to say, God, you love me. You sent Jesus to die for my sins. So I’m going to lay it at your feet, and I’ll take it back sometimes, but help me know You will love me anyway

• purpleandblueswirls says:

I struggle with the same problem. It’s so easy to think that I have to be good enough for God. I, too, need to remember that he loves me. It helps to see that even though it feels like he’s against you, he’s really on your side. He’s fighting against your flesh right along side you. We can never be good enough for God, but he sent his Son, anyway.

2. Megan says:

I recently read Counterfeit Gods by Tim Keller and it was a very good book and I would highly recommend it.

3. dece says:

It’s not wrong to be better, but this shouldn’t be the thing that “motivates” us. Thanks for this line:
    “the striving to be better will not be the thing that gives us motivation but the overwhelming realization of His love towards us will bring about true change and humility.”

God bless :)

4. A says:

**May be triggering**

I have a unique situation. I’ve self harmed two or three times but then I stopped. Now I’m so focused on it and I can’t stop thinking about it. I wonder what it would be like to feel the blade against my skin. I hate myself for thinking that way and fixating on it but I feel like its consuming me. I dont think i would tryvit but im not sure. I can’t see a counselor either or talk to someone about it because my parents have no idea about self harming or pretty much any of my life for a while now. I don’t know what to do.

• purpleandblueswirls says:

I know how it is to feel like you can’t talk to anyone. But you need to. Whatever you do, please don’t hurt yourself. It’s not what God wants for you. He wants you to be free of
      pain and shame, and he can make you that way. Just ask him, and read his Word.
      I’ll be praying for you.

• A says:

I don’t think I would hurt myself I just keep thinking about it and looking up self harm facts and stuff online. I’ve talked to some people about how I used to self harm but I can’t tell them about it now. They’d just go to my parents and I cannot let my parents know. They would freak out

• purpleandblueswirls says:

I understand that you don’t want your parents to freak out. There’s some stuff I’m afraid of my parent’s freaking out about, too. But, honestly, maybe them “freaking out” is better than keeping it from them. I know revealing secrets is really scary. I’m terrified of letting stuff out. But sometimes it’s necessary. Still praying for you that you will have the courage to talk to them, as well as strength and wisdom.
        Blessings.

• I want to encourage you to talk to your parents. I pray that God has revealed some of his amazing plan to you through getting rid of your idol