Digging Deeper: Putting our “Word” into Action

January 11, 2013 by agirlikemee

Let me first start by saying, wow, and then wow again. I mean, I personally thought the whole One Word 365 campaign was pretty brilliant, but not in my wildest dreams would I imagine so many of you coming alongside me and taking up this challenge too. If anythings girls, let it be known that within our AGLM community, you are NEVER alone. NEVER. There are women just like you walking the same paths and though we may never meet this side of heaven, we are doing life together. Pretty awesome if I say so myself. But back to the topic at hand.

So here we are, all fired up, holding on to our one word for the year in readied anticipation for what God will do. But where do we go from here? Sure, we’ve named our word, but that can’t be the end…can it? In truth, it is and always will be only God that can change our lives and hearts, but that doesn’t give us the freedom to sit on our rumps the next 11 months and wait around for him to do something magical. We must put feet to our words so that, with Christ, we can move forward.

So….how do we do that? I think the best place for us to start is to fully embrace the idea that whatever our word is, whatever we want to achieve from that word, it can NOT and will NOT be done on our own. CS Lewis (aka The Man) puts it this way:

“Now we cannot…discover our failure to keep God’s law except by trying our very hardest (and then failing). Unless we really try, whatever we say there will always be at the back of our minds the idea that if we try harder next time we shall succeed in being completely good. Thus, in one sense, the road back to God is a road of moral effort, of trying harder and harder. But in another sense it is not trying that is ever going to bring us home. All this trying leads up to the vital moment at which you turn to God and say, “You must do this. I can’t.”

Get that? Whether your word is surrender, faith, love, mercy, forgiveness, etc you will never in your best efforts succeed if you do not first humble yourselves enough to know that this is a team effort and you are not its captain. I want to surrender more to Christ, but I must first allow Christ to bring me into humble surrender. Say what? Look at it this way: Your word for the year is LOVE. You want to love more and love the unlovable. Now you could go out and give gifts and candies to a bunch of homeless people, but what good is that? But…if you ask God to take the lead in making you more loving, maybe he’d ask you to befriend that weird girl you hate, or embrace that parent or friend who wounded you even though they don’t deserve it.

So really, our first, and well our most vital step, is simply to let go. Which, for me, is ironically the exact problem I have. But..in letting it go, I can begin to walk with Jesus as HE does the work in molding my heart around that word.

I know that is a pretty big step, one that may take 10 out of 12 months to master. But that’s ok. As you work through this, may I suggest a few more practical methods for putting feet to our words. Let me break down a few for you:

1. Put scripture to your word: I found a passage (Phil. 3:8-11) that I feel exemplifies what my word means & where I want to go. I’m going to memorize it this year so that it sits on my brain and heart as a constant reminder of my word. So dig into the word, it’s there for our life support and guidance any way, so don’t you think it’s a good place to start?

2. Make it visible: I have that one covered with my tattoo, but for you, consider pasting the word on your mirror, car steering wheel, computer screen, what have you so that you are daily seeing it and reminded of the goals you have set with our Father.

3. Pick a song: Find a song that best fits the desire of your heart with your one word. Let that song be your anthem. Here’s one by Hillsong United that fits perfect with mine:

4. Tell a friend or loved one: I think it’s great that we’ve all shared our word with each other, but someone near to you must know as well. I don’t think this is a shout from the rooftops kind of thing, but having someone close who can pray for/with you and hold you accountable is vital. Again, this is a TEAM effort.

5. Pray: I know it seems obvious, but really, if we aren’t continuously talking to God about this, what’s the point. Our promises become void and our word then means nothing. Go to Him. Daily. Moment by moment if need be. Pray your word to him. Offer it back to Him. Cause again, He’s the team captain, and in order to succeed at any big game, a team must communicate. If they don’t….chaos. So go to Jesus. Let him know your heart.

Girls, this year I anticipate great things for us all. God is doing a stirring in each of us, and it is time we respond. Remember…you are NEVER alone. Remember, this one word, it may cause you pain. But also remember, there is joy in the morning when we rest in the firm embrace of our beloved Jesus as he takes our word, makes it his, and then redeems us to himself. Are you ready?

18 thoughts on “Digging Deeper: Putting our “Word” into Action

WOW–all I can say is AMEN to this post!!!! Can’t wait to hear all the things God is going to do in so many lives this coming year…BRING IT ON!!!!

2. JP says:

These are such great ideas. Thank you so much Heather. I will get started today doing all of these. The word I chose was Discipline, so it’s going to take more time to find all the right components (which should make me live out the word, to discipline myself enough to not just give up but actually follow through, spend time, and research a verse and song for this word. Crazy how’s that working out, hehe). I’m actually very excited to see what God does with this.

3. This post speaks nothing but the truth and the song TOTALLY gave me chills. It seems even with one word, it’s just like another New Year’s resolution, destined to be broken…but this post…ensures the words never truly are broken or forgotten. That in itself, is a beautiful thing.

4. Sheridan says:

I knew this year was going to be different…… bring it on!!!! Im way stronger then i was last year… :D

5. Cory says:

These posts are excellent. Challenging and encouraging both :) thank you!!

6. Emily :) says:

Thank you for this post. Thank you for the ideas and support – I totally cannot wait to see what God does, in all of us, this year!!

Thanks for the ideas, Heather.

8. Seun says:

Wow so encouraged by this yet again, thank you heather!! 😁

9. love you both so much !!!!!!! I hope I can meet you both one day :) you guys inspire me :)

10. Stef says:

whoa!! this post was truly encouraging!! thanks!! :)

11. purpleandblueswirls says:

This post came at the perfect time. Thank you so much! I can definately see how God is using this. Please know that God is using you. You and everyone else, even the band. This is exactly what I’ve been going through. I need to let everything go and give it to God. I don’t know exactly how to say it all in a word, but in a few: Relinquish, Be Free, Let Go.

12. Hannah says:

Thank you so much for this awesome idea! You guys are so encouraging and amazing! Thank you AGLM for everything YOU do!!!:)

13. Thank you for this post, and all your other (very encouraging, helpful) posts. I don’t comment here much, but I thought I would start. This is the third year I have done the One Word thing. The first year, my word was focus, and that was the year that everything changed between God and I. That was the year that I truly began to follow Him and make Him the focus of my life. Last year (2012), my word was grow. I didn’t realize what a dangerous thing it is to pray for growth. God certainly answered that prayer. This past year has been the hardest of my life. Everything changed. My dad died, we moved, some stuff came up… But grow I did. This year, my word is COURAGE. Fear holds me back from proclaiming His name, sharing His love, and especially showing my weaknesses and how God has worked through those.

It’s such a powerful thing to ask God to help you grow in one area like this. I think that God is very willing to help us with these things. It’s not God that’s holding me back from being courageous, it’s me. Something really important to remember is that it is Jesus that ultimately changes us, if we let him. No matter how hard you (I) try, you’re (I’m) not going to get anywhere by my own power.

As far as the blog post goes… I have a ring that reminds me to be courageous, because God is greater than my fear. I do have a song, “Freefall” by Royal Tailor. I haven’t shared this. I should, I just need the courage to do so. :-) Prayer is the only thing that makes this work.
    That was really long and ramble-y… Sorry!

14. Jennifer says:

Please pray for me guys. I decided to make my word faith, because I have never fully lived a life of faith. I’ve always believed in and loved God, but I’ve never fully trusted him completely. So I made faith my word so that I could practice living in faith and trusting God. However, since I have made this decision, a lot of things have happened that are threatening my faith. The devil is really throwing it at me trying to get me to give up but it’s not going to happen. Please pray for me so I can stay strong, I will pray for all of you to. Thank you!

15. Kristen says:

my one word… free :) free, not bound by the rules of religion, but free in the love of Jesus- even free to mess up, to fail, because His grace covers me and I AM forgiven :)

16. em says:

i a little late but , i think my word would have to be trust . resting in the fact that God know whats best for me and that whatever happens He ‘s right there with me.

17. Mariya says:

thanks! those are really good ideas!

Open My Eyes: New post today on the blog. Agirlikeme.com