Grace For The Weary

November 13, 2012 by agirlikemee

I have to admit, I’m tired. For those who aren’t aware, I recently moved, spent a month on the road and am currently trying to grow a little human inside of me. These three things plus a crazy almost two year old will send even the strongest of women into a fit of insanity. So in all honesty, the last thing I want to be doing right now is sitting in front of a screen, typing away my feelings to you all. It just feels…exhausting.

I’m learning that in these times in my life….when I’m most exhausted and weary…I don’t really like myself much. I tend to be short tempered, negative, unkind, and a down-right grump. I struggle to see the beauty in the moment and cherish those sweet blessings The Lord gives me, even if they are small. Really, I sometimes don’t even resemble someone who looks like a child of Christ at all. The worst part of it all, I often don’t even care.

And then I am reminded of one simple verse. 2 Corinthians 12:9, “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Ahhh. (deep soothing breath) HIS grace is sufficient for ME. You see, I already struggle in life to be gracious towards others, but more than them, I am extremely stingy in extending grace to myself. When I fail, I look at myself as though I am the lowest of low, so deserving of this poor attitude that I am feeling. I struggle to want to wake up and seek hope because I know I will just get tired and weary again, destined to fall and disappoint Christ once more. BUT…

His grace is sufficient for me. So when I yell at my son out of frustration and exhaustion, when I am disrespectful to my husband, short tempered with a friend and uncaring towards a stranger…His grace covers me. And by covering me, he is renewing me. Reminding me yet again of how much I need him and how there is no depth of weary or lowliness that I can go that his grace is unable to reach me. And because of this knowledge, I can find the hope to move through these times of feeling worn and beaten down knowing that as I clumsily stumble my way through it, His grace is holding me up, pushing me towards his face and to a greater understanding of his love for me.

So tonight, tonight I rest with peace in my heart. Peace in knowing there is grace for the weary and new beginnings each morning. For that, I can find joy.

22 thoughts on “Grace For The Weary

1. Jeannie says:

It is nice to know I am not the only one who feels this way! Thank you for the reminder of the verse.

Keep on fighting the good fight!

2. rainpaint says:

Thanks. Needed that. I get it. Senior year of college = exhaustion/frustration with everything–>frustration with myself. “But You love me anyway.”

3. Liza Kittle says:

Oh, Heather, I do remember those times of great stress and always feeling I didn’t measure up when life got overwhelming. As a mother of 4 I think I stayed in my bathrobe for 10 years always thinking “are we having fun yet?”. My marriage was falling apart, I was depressed, and had far too much laundry to do. Then I met Jesus….. and everything just seemed to be different. Because I was different and I had the Holy Spirit to carry the load. He took all my burdens and made my family whole. Now I am almost an empty nester….and those days seem so far away.
    You are going through some pretty stressful times… moving with a toddler would by itself put anyone over the edge. But Jesus is right there with you as you know. And pretty soon, you and your sweet family will be sitting together in your new home enjoying the holidays….hubby by your side, your sweet son playing in his new room, and you just content ….thinking “How did I do this?”
    Then you’ll get that overwhelming feeling of knowing you were never alone…and never will be. You are a great Mom and wife….and a blogger who blesses so many with your transparency and dependence on Jesus. Take heart, don’t beat yourself up, and know you are making a huge difference in the kingdom of God, both at home and beyond. I will be praying for you!
    P.S. Jeff and all the guys and Kelley just really gave my Julia an experience of a lifetime in Kansas. She said, You know Mom it’s hard to think of them as famous. They’re just so nice and real! I can say Amen to that.

4. So TRUE, in SO many different times of life – and SO beautifully put from one so weary! Thank you for being “real” with us! Taking that a step futher let us repeat “His Grace is sufficient for ME” in our hearts and minds during those times of not have the energy or strength to care, digging deep and using His Grace to be “His hands & feet” – I’m certain that He will bless us with more strength than we knew we had! God bless!!

5. Rebekah W. says:

Ahh…beautiful. Thank you for writing this. Thank you for being willing to be exhausted in order to relate to us. That’s really special. You’re a special lady! Congrats on your new house and new baby!! :)

6. I needed to read this today. Thank you, Heather.

7. Julia says:

This kind of honesty makes me feel less alone… and its refreshing in a world of being told things like “we all have problems” or “be strong”… most days I don’t want to hear things like that because it makes me feel like I’m just being petty and can’t be honest about how I feel. But to know His grace covers me.. that’s really all we need sometimes just to rest in.. that and knowing His mercies are new every morning.

8. Jane says:

Thank you for sharing. It touched my heart because I’m pretty weary myself. I’m a full time college senior nearing fall term finals and everything feels like it’s falling part. Thank you for sharing God’s grace with us. Please do not quit doing good because you will be rewarded if you don’t give up. I pray that God’s grace would continue to surround you and buoy you up today.

9. Tiffany says:

I have to remind myself that His grace is enough… every single day. I expect so much out of myself and push myself so hard. I have a hard time pulling myself away from what I was taught from a child that Christ must be disappointed in me each time I fail. So I constantly force myself to try harder. I feel like a lowsy failure when I come back to Him after trying to do it all myself without Him. But the thing is, He just wants to love me. It’s okay if I failed, missed that moment to talk to someone who was upset, forgot to spend my morning time with Christ, didn’t get that paperwork done. It’s okay. I can come with empty hands and a broken heart and that is enough for Him.

10. Cc says:

Thanks Heather , I’ve been feeling the same :( but I just have to remember that his grace is enough :)

11. Janette says:

Heather,
    Thanks for sharing this! I’ve been going through a hard time with school. I’ve gotten two grades that were’t what I wanted. I’m going crazy trying to figure out why I got it. On top of that I haven’t gotten much sleep. Though I’m not in college yet, life is crazy right now. This versus reminds me that God is perfect in my weakness. So even when things are crazy, I can rest knowing that He is there. Another versus that comes to mind is Matthew 11:28-30 Come to me, are who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I’m am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

12. Hannah says:

I needed this today! Thank you.

13. Jessi Charron says:

I really needed to hear this!!! Thanks Heather!!!!

14. Bless your heart! Congratulations on the baby.

15. Natalie says:

You just have no idea how timely this is. I am so weary of myself, of my unhappiness and bitterness and anger that I just don’t even feel worthy of God. I just told my husband today I don’t even want to go to church because I’m no good for the body of Christ. I know his strength is made perfect in my weakness but I’m not deserving of it. I feel like an embarrassment for Him. Like I don’t give up on Him or His ability to work in me I just don’t deserve it anymore.

16. This came at the perfect time. Isn’t it cool to know God is using you, even when you feel unusable?

17. Holly says:

This is definitely something that I needed to hear tonight. With college finals, family to worry about, and friends to try and take care of, it’s all so overwhelming. Then I come to this blog, and it just helps so much. Thank you for taking the time to write this and for being an encouragement. God is always good even when we don’t always see His goodness at first. HIS perfect timing.

18. Wow. I really needed this today. Life has just be engulping me like a fire the last couple of months and I to have grown so not me and just so tired of everything, shich brings out the not so nice Sara. Then I get really mad at myself for being and feeling that way and that doesn’t help. Grace now that is the word I need every day and more lately then ever. I hope you get some rest and congrates on the house and the many blessings that the baby will bring.

Wow! I can’t even describe how perfect the timing of this post was. Before I read it I was crying and pouring my life out before God for the first time in a long time. I was asking Him to just give me peace in the midst of how worn out I am becoming. Never did I expect that He would use my way of taking my mind off things for a while (aka the internet) to show me that His grace IS sufficiant for me. Thank you SO much for sharing

20. Olivia says:

Thank you for this!!! I have also been so very stressed out and worn out from school and work and life in general and this gave me a little bit of refocusing. Thanks again! :)

21. A person necessarily help to make significantly articles I would state. That is the first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the research you made to create this particular put up incredible. Excellent task!

22. Although a healthy diet is vital for reaching a healthier skin, the straightforward truth is the fact that taking in greasy or sugary food items will not be the key trigger on the adult acne pimples with your skin. According to a examine published while in the journal in the American Health care Affiliation, “diet isn’t the principal lead to of grownup acne”. But this doesn’t provide you with the go forward to go eating a variety of junk foods. In the event you recognize that the acne pimples is aggravated by ingesting some certain foods, common sense need to merely show you to prevent eating this sort of meals to stop pimples pimples breakouts.

Who are some of your most treasured friends? Tag them in the comments and let them know you love them. #nomanisanisland Sharing some joy-filled hellos and some tearful goodbyes on the blog today. Link in profile. Heather is calling you out AGLM readers!! You have 24hrs to participate. Make sure to tag us in your video. #ALSbucketchallenge