Little Miss Goodie Two Shoes

November 6, 2012 by A Girl Like Me

So when I was in high school I had this nickname. Not one of those cute abbreviations of my name or endearing pet names by a boyfriend or best friend. No, this nickname was bestowed upon me by the kids in my school who knew very little about me at all. They were the kids that saw me in class, but that was it. Some I knew better than others, but none more than a simple acquaintance. My nickname? GG….which stood for “Goody-Goody.”

In high school, I was THAT girl. You know, that churchy girl who never did anything wrong. I was the girl who got good grades, never swore, never partied, never ever got a detention, and never broke the rules. Not only was I this seemingly perfect portrait of an ideal teenager, I was also very quick to let you know just how awesome I was and just how awful you were.

I remember finding out a girl in one of my classes who claimed to be a Christian had gotten herself pregnant. One day in class we were talking about it and I made the following comment: “Well it’s obvious she’s not a Christian at all. Real Christians like me aren’t dumb enough to do something like that. We know better.” Yep..I was THAT girl for sure. To the kids at my school I was GG, to others, I was a much more colorful word. Either way, there was something a bit off about me.

We’ve covered a lot of different topics in our short five months of life. However, there is one we really haven’t looked at. It’s this concept of self-righteousness. We all possess it. We all flesh it out in our lives. And we are all wrong in doing so. But let me back up a bit.

Let me take you back to Eden for a second. Here is God, creating all that exist in our world and beyond. With each thing he created He saw that it was good. However, it wasn’t until God had created man that he declared creation very good. Good. That was label given to our race at the very beginning. It was who we were and what defined us. God saw us as good. Pure, blameless, and loved by him. And then…well we ate that stupid piece of fruit. In that exact second our goodness left us. No longer could we be defined as good because we weren’t good. And for the next two thousand plus years we have been working our tushies off to try and reclaim that title of goodness in our lives. Sadly, in our quest, we have seriously taken a wrong turn.

We (and by we I mean females) especially battle with this sin of self-righteousness. In our quest to be not only accepted, but seen as good, we tend to look down on the mistakes and misfortunes of others. We are quick to make assumptions of someone based on little knowledge of the person and often give them a very undeserving label. We talk and we talk and WE TALK constantly about other people behind their backs, sometimes in the name of prayer, all the while puffing ourselves up to be the superior person. We do this because if others can be seen as bad and insignificant we can be seen as good and worthy of praise and recognition.

So let me burst your bubbles gals….you will never be good. Never. Ever. No matter how many A’s you get, how many modest clothes you wear, whether you wait til your wedding day to have your first kiss,  no matter how many hours a day you pour over your bible in quiet times you will still never be good. NEVER. In truth, I feel this idea to be “good” and to call ourselves good can be more of a hindrance to our faith than that of any other “big” sin we have discussed before. Because in claiming our own goodness, we are making very little of Jesus.

Let’s take a look at Titus 3:5 for a second. “He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy…” Or Ephesians 2:8-9: “For by grace are you saved through faith and that not of yourselves. It os a gift of God, not of works..so that no man should boast.” Scripture is pretty evident in explaining to us that we aren’t good and our goodness will never be able to make us right before God. Mark 2:17 puts it best. Jesus tells a group of people, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but the sinners.” What he in essence is saying here is that Jesus came to earth for those who are aware of their non-goodness. Those people recognize their own sickness and know that they need a healer. For those who battle with self-righteousness, he didn’t come for. Reason being, those people will always try to get better on their own merit and efforts. So the question is: Are you sick, or are you healthy?

Jesus Christ was and always will be the only good person to ever exist. He was flawless. He loved like he should, got angry only in righteous fury and died at the hands of men and women all wanting to kill him for their own relief of feeling good about themselves. Yet..and this is a big yet…in his death, he covered each of us with HIS goodness. So now when we are looked upon by our Heavenly Father he doesn’t see our ugliness and failure and pride, he sees Jesus. And to God, Jesus is truly good.

So where do we go from here, ladies? Simply put, it’s time to get over yourself. Time to stop feeling like you are worthy of being admired and seen as good. It’s time for you and me to stop thinking that by being the “best” means we win some Jesus award or extra favor with him. And it’s time to let go of our own selfish pride and finally admit that we don’t have it all together. Author Charles Spurgeon says, “The greatest enemy to a human soul is a spirit of self-righteousness.” If we continue down this path of claiming our own goodness, we will never get to experience the joy of letting the Father do his work in our lives in his way and in his time.

Ladies, let’s seek to allow ourselves to embrace the fact that we are screwed up. Imagine how much easier life would be if we allowed ourselves to live in the knowledge that we are failures, but with the hope that we have a mighty God who overcame all of them for us. The freedom we would experience would be immeasurable. It’s time for us to take off our pair of goodie two-shoes and wear the name that was graciously given to us so long ago: “Redeemed Daughters of the King”

19 thoughts on “Little Miss Goodie Two Shoes

1. Cc says:

Thanks really needed to hear :) I’ve been struggling with trying to be perfect but I can’t and will not but I will trust in God who is everything I can’t be :) thanks once again

2. Sarah says:

Needed this reminder. Sometimes I feel like I am not good enough and that is just as bad as thinking I am good enough. I am in the process of learning that we ALL are in need of a Saviour. I need HIM every second of every hour every day.

3. Carrie says:

thank u!!

4. Denise says:

Thanks for sharing this!! God’s been working with me on this! Funny thing, I was also ‘that’ girl in school.
    This is one of my favorite quotes:

“There’s no need to be perfect to inspire others. Let others get inspired by how you deal with your imperfections.”

5. JP says:

Thanks for this post. Everyone always says what a “good person” I am. I feel so bad because I know how wicked my heart truly is and how bad I am. So, instead of telling them the truth, I’ve been trying hard to be that “good” person they think I am, but then end up mad, frustrated, disappointed and super depressed that I can’t live up to that label. Then I simply feel like a sham and liar. Thank you for reminding me that I am not “good,” only Jesus is Good, and even though I should strive to be more like Jesus I will never be good and perfect. I’m just an imperfect human and that does not make me a fake because my Savior was perfect for me, and that’s ok. Thanks for that reminder, now when people call me “good” I know they are just pointing out the Jesus they see in me; without Him I am nowhere near good but I have the perfect being living in me.

• Heather says:

“…now when people call me “good” I know they are just pointing out the Jesus they see in me.” I love that!

6. Shauna says:

The thing that got me was, “And it’s time to let go of our own selfish pride and finally admit that we don’t have it all together.” You see, I know I don’t have it together, but I see all these other women/mothers that seem to have it all together. This made me realize that they don’t have it all together either, so I need to quit beating myself up in this comparison trap.

7. Rebekah W. (there's more than one Rebekah on here) haha says:

Love

8. Heather, we sound a lot a like.

9. Christine says:

Thanks for this post. I agree with everything you’ve said! As a teenager raised in a faithfully Christian home and attending a classical, Christian school, this is a sin that I know Satan wants girls like me to fall into. I used to wish that I had some epic testimony like other great Christians, but I am now seeing that God has blessed me so richly as my parents are training me in the ways of the Lord. At the same time, I need God so much to keep humbling me and to help me overcome feelings of pride or judgment towards others. I never want to lose wonder for the cross and for the undeserved love constantly poured out on me from the Lord.

10. Janette says:

Thanks for this post! In my youth group “Teen Meeting” we were talking about self-righteousness and near the end we were talking about the Pharisee and the Tax Collector in Luke 18:9-14. One question was if we took out the Tax Collector would the prayer still be self-righteous? My view from it was yes because he saying to God look at what I did. Even if he was thanking God. I like being able to see what other people think about this topic.

11. Brown Girl says:

I was a miss good two shoes too. And then things fell apart. But I can accept myself, the good, the bad, and the ugly, because Jesus Christ. I will fail, but I am forgiven. OH the freedom!!! :)

12. Monica says:

Thank you soo much Heather for writing this. My friends at church say that I’m so good and so nice and so amazing when in reality I’m selfish 85%of the time. Thank you for reminding me that I need to lean on Jesus and ask him for help a lot more than I do.

13. christical says:

Oh man . . . This hit me hard.

I’m a huge perfectionist. When I read the “you will never be good. Never. Ever,” paragraph, it felt like the entire world slowed down.

To be quite honest, I am “that girl”. This post is what I needed to kick my release back in to place.

14. Mandy says:

I’m battling these concepts of self-righteousness and pride also, and while I truly believe that Jesus died for me there are also times I’m just too proud to see that I need a Savior. Could God forgive even this sin and these feelings I have, while in my heart I can’t believe His promise and gift ALL the time? May I believe that He died for me even when my heart is sometimes (or more times than sometimes) not REALLY grasping this truth. My mind knows Jesus died for me, but my heart isn’t always in that same place. And that’s something I’m really fighting, but to me it’s so difficult to get rid of the pride, even though I know that’s what’s best for me.

Wow. How’s that for a confession. Maybe ‘telling’ it like this already helps, but I could really use some input/comments from you guys..

15. Mandy

I totally understand. It is often hard to get what we know in our heads to be accepted by our heart. Smeo times I think it is because we can’t imagine or reason why God would do everything he has done when we hurt him and in that we want to be that good person not to hurt him and in that we often think that we are really caring through with what we want. I know this is something I struggle with all the time. I know that he loves me more then anyone else in this world and yet I don’t accept that fully and look for that love and approval form other people, when really the one who approval that matters loves us even if we done do the good thing.

Just keep telling yourself how loved you are by him. The more you tell yourself the closer you get to accepting. I listen to By Your Side everry morning just to remind myself how much God truly loves me as a reminder. I use to cry through it and my friends thought that I was crazy. I think the more I come to accept his love and forgiveness by strengthing my faith the few tears that fall in the morning. I will most likely always keep that reminder in my morning schedule to start my morning.

It is ok to struggle with this as I think most of us do.

• Mandy says:

Thanks, Sara Marie! :) It’s good to hear the thoughts of other people when you sometimes don’t know what to think about certain things :)

16. Talitha K says:

Wow! What a great post! I really struggle with this too… All the time I want to think I’m better than others, and even when I’m not comparing myself with others, my goal seems to be, to be “good” instead of wanting to live for God’s glory. So even when I ask God to help me, I ask Him to help me be “good” instead of asking Him to help me live for HIS honour and glory. Ah I hate that I twist everything like this to be so selfish!! :(
    But thanks for this post.. I really love the last paragraph:

Thank you so much! This really gives me a new perspective on this issue :)